Friday, November 29, 2019

Critical Reflection

1. Module Learning

At the beginning of this module, I expressed that I want to be more confident in public speaking and improve on my articulation of words. This effective communication module has trained me be confident through the presentation and “selling of my solution” in front of the audience. With the feedback that was given by Professor Blackstone for oral presentation, it provides me with a better understanding of how I can further improve on myself. The key takeaway for this module would be to write effectively in my professional writing and meeting minutes. Writing a good meeting minutes is important as Professor Blackstone has mentioned that during IWSP, we will need to write a short meeting minutes for each meeting. Through the various assignments and the peer evaluation given by my classmates and Professor Blackstone, I have learned on how to improve on my language use, sentence structures and the correct APA citations. There are also various platforms which allows me to present, read aloud in class and help me to improve on my articulation of words. With the knowledge that I have gained throughout these 13 weeks, I will continue to apply what I have learned as learning is a never-ending journey.

2. Project Learning 

In the project, the main challenge that I face was to choose a good research topic. The first step of choosing a good research topic was the hardest as my team need to ensure that there were enough research articles to support our research topic, and there will be a direct focus. Initially, my team feels that our research topic is doable with enough secondary sources to back up our stand. However, when we were consulting Professor Blackstone our research idea, the team realized that there were some drawbacks that we have overlook, which makes it harder for us to conduct further research on the topic. My team did not give up and continue to research other possible topics that we could consider and managed to come up with another research topic for our project. From this, I have learned that there will always be challenges and obstacles for us to overcome, but the difficulties that I have faced will make me more determined to achieve my goals.

3. Presentation Showcase

As an audience at the presentation showcase, I find that all presentations given by the teams were a splendid one. Among all the teams, the team that caught my attention would be Team Bricknology that presented their proposal on implementing mycelium bricks for new estates in Sembawang. I also like how the team was able to be confident in selling their solution and good composure when standing in front of a large crowd presenting their proposal. I oversee the hard work and effort they put in to make each presentation a better one. As compared to the presentation showcase with the two presentations, I would say that there were huge improvements made in terms of their contents, delivery of slides and fluency in their speech. With all these improvements and their knowledge in the research topic that they are covering, the team has significantly made an impact on conveying their ideas of the proposal to the audience. 

Overall, I have enjoyed these 13 weeks of effective communication and it has been a fruitful journey for me. This module has allowed me to build my confidence in writing and expressing my ideas to my peers. Effective communication has also imparted me with valuable skills that will be effective in the future regardless of internship, working society and subsequent trimesters. Lastly, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Professor Blackstone for being an amazing instructor and to my peers for being there to make these possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment